Jun 3, 2011

[About Fred Astaire] "Sure he was great, but don't forget Ginger Rogers did everything he did backwards . . . and in high heels!" - Bob Thaves 1982
That's the best attribution I've found.  This is a pretty well known quote.  Used to show how women's accomplishments are often overlooked next to a man's.  I'm picking nits here but I can't for the life of me recall seeing Ginger Rogers dance backwards.  I've seen a couple of their movies and just checked on Youtube for some dance scenes I hadn't seen before.  And Ginger Rogers never dances backwards.  Fred and Ginger's style of dancing usually involved them twirling around switching off who was dancing backwards or dancing "cheek to cheek" and moving sideways or dancing where both are facing the camera.

I know next to nothing about dancing so perhaps there are some dance styles that involve the woman going backwards most of the time but I just haven't found it.  Anyone out there know what styles go backwards or the existence of a clip where she's going backwards.

She did however wear high heels.

1 comment:

cosi said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYvXra1bI0&feature=related

I think they just mean that she was partnering, and therefore doing the mirror image, like in this Tango. So no, its not dancing backwards, but its matching him step for step but in the opposite direction.