Feb 12, 2007

poutine

The family visited Whistler a few months back to attend a wedding and I was introduced to an awesome new piece of Canadian culture - poutine. I had never heard of this before and I'm not quite sure how it escaped me. Poutine is basically french fries, fresh cheese curds, and gravy. There are variations (even a foie gras version) but this is the original. As you might tell from its ingredients it is an excellent post-drinking digestive. It has the requisite amount of grease, carbohydrate heft, and unusual ingredients (for confusing your stomach).

I have never seen poutine in the states. A quick search on Google however shows that Pommes Frites, a great Belgian fry shop near St. Marks, apparently carries a decent rendition. I may have to swing by after my next beer outing.

No comments: