Sep 25, 2007

now they tell me

Exercise does not lead to weight loss. So why do we think it does? Read the article.

Like similar myths about cholesterol consumption, blood cholesterol, and heart disease, the beliefs about the causality between weight loss and exercise stem from one person who marketed their beliefs with the "fervor akin to a moral crusade" and a press that was uncritical of the data he presented. After that "conventional wisdom" sort of perpetuated.

I've had personal experience with this. I used to work out 2 hours a day, 7 days a week at one point with zero weight loss. All of that working out just made me ravenous. I was more physically fit but I didn't lose a single ounce of fat. They key is the interaction between insulin and LPL which the article discusses. The only thing that affects that is diet. Readers of this blog won't be surprised at what that diet consists of.

The author of the article has a couple of articles out in various publications like the New York Times and has a book out called "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease" that I plan on picking up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. As the 105lb girl who never exercises, I now can direct people to this source as well.

C. Fuzzbang said...

Actually I just picked up the book so I can actually cite studies as well :)